Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Politics: 101

It's always best to know what you are getting yourself into. So I am using this first blog to briefly outline my political persuasion. First off, you could say I am a liberal conservative. I think I am too left to be a far-right conservative, but I am definitely not liberal. I usually align with the GOP, but I'm not strictly partisan. Sometimes I will back up Democrats if they are in the right.

Favorite politician: Sarah Palin
You better get used to that. There will probably be numerous posts about her.
Second favorite politician: Mike Huckabee
Least favorite politician: Barack Obama

Stances:

Homosexuality marriage - Immoral but should be legal.

Gun control - Should be stricter but ultimately, guns are a necessary evil.

Abortion - Illegal in all cases.

Marijuana - Strictly illegal in all cases.

Government run health care - No thank you.

Sex education - Abstinence only.

Redistributing the wealth - Unconstitutional.

Military - Homosexuals and women should be able to participate.

Religion - There should be a separation of church and state, but people should be able to freely express themselves.

Media - Mainly liberal.

Education system - A total mess and parents should be able to choose what school their child attends.

Those are just a few basic stances of mine. Throughout this blog, I will fully explore different subjects.

Since the last presidential election, politics have became even more popular within the U.S. Right now, the majority party is the Democratic party. This year has been marked by the push for health care reform. Now, do I believe health care issues need to be addressed? Of course. I do not agree with the options that are being offered by Democrats though. It doesn't help that they contrive hundred page bills that almost half of them don't even read. I believe they are trying to push this down the American people's throats.

Barack Obama is probably one of the men I like the least. No one can take away his mastery of the oratory. He is also an intelligent man and a man of diplomacy. The election though, was a joke. Most of his supporters knew nothing about his platform and policies. He also was vague on his platform during the campaign. His talks were primarily about this "change." What change has there really been other than health care reform which is very unpopular among many Americans? His term has been very uneventful considering his numerous promises he made. The media has practically kissed him and his wife's feet. He even received the Nobel prize for what he might do, instead of what he has done, which is nothing. Fortunately, next presidential election, I will be old enough to vote, and I will be part of the revolution that votes for a change to this change.

Sarah Palin, hands down, has shaken up the world of politics forever. Love her or hate her, you know at least a little about her. Unfortunately, much of the facts have been skewed. I have never seen such smear campaigning against a person. Is a middle-class, Christian, conservative woman that intimidating? Obviously she must be. She is what this country really needs. Don't give me the little experience card. We have a community organizer as a current president. Don't give me the unintelligent card because that is not true. Many of her words have been taken out of context. She is a powerful woman who can't be stopped. Be prepared in 2012, if she runs for president, then there is a strong possibility that she will be our first female president. Right now, people are divided about her but she is slowly gaining popularity.

That's enough for now. I would love to hear others' opinions and comments. Comment on the blog or send an e-mail to politicsandpopculture@yahoo.com. Until next time.

-Colby

No comments:

Post a Comment